Star Valley High School Library
Life is an adventure.
Sometimes it's fun, sometimes a challenge and sometimes a downright trudge. At the SVMS library, we try to make a difference in the lives of our students by creating a space where students come to engage with the adventure of learning. We do this by offering new challenges and programs designed to create a love of learning. We like to see ourselves as the testing zone for any kind of new and exciting educational experience.
Right now, during COVID-19, even though you can't be in the library, you can still go on an adventure inside the pages of a book!
Resources for TEACHERS: to Use During School Closure
Here are a few YouTube videos we have created to help you use digital resources to teach remotely.
How to create a QuickTime Player Video: https://youtu.be/rN13M-M_DKo
How to post videos on your YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/NsB6d6LIFqQ
How to use the "disussion" feature on your YouTube channel to answer student questions: https://youtu.be/CdhtaWr9uiQ
How to find non-fiction ebooks using our Gale Resources Database:https://youtu.be/5mOUtNZKUns
Gale Database Research Tips and Tricks:https://youtu.be/YMulahSPwsw
Defined Learning: Project-based Learning
We have been piloting this program, in the library for the past 2 months, it is fantastic. It is a Project-based teaching platform that is easy to use and has all the resources attached. If our "social distancing" ends up taking longer than expected, this may be a great tool to use. All projects are STEM related and allow a student to see a problem through a career-type lens.
How to access this program:https://youtu.be/sdXp5mMozxk
Finding your project: https://s3-video.definedstem.com/pd/module1.mp4
Assign and Share: https://s3-video.definedstem.com/pd/module3.mp4
Evaluating and Assessing Student Work: https://s3-video.definedstem.com/pd/module4.mp4
Creating your Class: https://s3-video.definedstem.com/pd/module5.mp4
Teacher Groups: https://s3-video.definedstem.com/pd/module7.mp4
Resources for STUDENTS to Use During School Closure
Looking for Reading Material?
- Gale Resources Database:https://youtu.be/5mOUtNZKUns
- the password to Gale Databases is: library
- If you access our Gale Databases, there are thousands of non-fiction articles on every subject.
- AXIS 360 is SVHS digital library for fictional books. To get access to this library SVHS students go to the home page on their iPad, go to AXIS 360 and login by adding 15 to their id number (example: 1525082). If you can't get to AXIS 360 via the home page here is the direct link https://braves.axis360.baker-taylor.com
- Tumble Books: This resource has been made available to us through our Lincoln County Public Libraries
- If you have a library card through the Public Library, there are 3 different digital options to choose from: rbdigital, Overdrive or CloudLibrary. Please visit any public library website to learn more:
- EPIC - Is offering free access to students and teachers through June 30, 2020
- JUNIOR LIBRARY GUILD - Most of these books will have AR quizzes, but if you want to check, go to arbookfind.com to look it up.
- Enter the school-level book stream of your choice:
- Elementary Username: JLGELM Password: JLGFREE
- Middle School Username: JLGMID Password: JLGFREE
- High School Username: JLGHI Password: JLGFREE
- Audible: for as long as schools are closed, audible is open. Try these audible books for free!
- Scrbd: audiobooks and digital books for free - 30 day access, no payment or credit card needed. Sign up using either google or facebook
Shakespeare in the park...or library?
Mrs. Call's 12th grade English classes decided to grapple with the text of Shakespeare in a very hands-on way. By splitting each English class into two book-clubs, one club studying Macbeth and the other Twelfth Night, she was able to give students the opportunity to experience more. With smaller groups and the help of the librarians she, Mrs. Osmond and Mrs. Suloff helped Shakespeare come to life.
Who knew 12th graders could talk Shakespeare?
I have been working at the High School Library for 7 years. I love the books and love the students even more. My favorite things to do are; going camping, reading, (especially while camping), and crocheting. I love to tole paint and craft. I am a big fan of Star Valley Sports. Most of my time is spent with my grandchildren. They keep me young.